Usually, the fragrance is noticeable as that of eucalyptus or lavender, but the essence of that oil will have some other properties of the original plant as well.
Other popular essential oils like tea tree, peppermint, rosemary, and Frankenstein are often used in humidifiers.
Humidifiers are used to humidify a space. Sometimes it can be located in a single room or may even be attached to the furnace, which increases the humidity in the entire house.
There are two types of humidifiers out there for home use – warm mist and cool mist. With the cool mist humidifier, a fan moves air through the wick filled with water.
This water evaporates in the air. In a warm mist humidifier, water is heated by the device, and water vapors dissipate in the air.
Many homes use warm mist humidifiers in winter as it also contributes to warming up the house.
A room humidifier is often placed in the room where a baby is sleeping. Now let’s see, can you put essential oils in a humidifier?
Essential oil diffuser has the purpose of transmitting essential oils in the air. One everyday use is aromatherapy, while there are several types of humidifiers as well.
- A nebulizing diffuser spread the essential oil in the room without the use of a humidifier, directly.
Both a spritzer and cold air pump are used to atomize the oil into small vapor particles.
The micro vapor has tiny droplets of essential oil only, and no heat is used in this process.
- While using essential oil in a humidifier, some essential oils may be added to the water tank, and the oil essence will spread with the water vapors.
A cool mist or warm mist humidifier can be used to do this.
- Another way to add essential oils to the air is via an ultrasonic diffuser.
Electrical impulses are there, causing the disk to vibrate and diffuse the essential oils in the air. There is no involvement of heat in the process.
- Candles are another simple method to spread essential oils in your room. The candle takes the aid of heat to disperse the oil molecules in the air.
They are not a very preferred method, though, as they can potentially overpower the original plant’s aroma with the waxy odor they have.
Some beneficial properties of essential oils can also be destroyed due to heat as well. This can be very dangerous to place in a room where the baby stays.
See Our Blog: How To Clean Split AC Drain Pipe? – Step By Step Guide
What is the better option for diffusing oil, and why?
To preserve and make the maximum out of the original plant’s essence, the cool mist is the best option.
Ultrasonic humidifiers also work well for this purpose. Any method which involves heat can destroy the beneficial properties of essential oils.
The best way to diffuse essential oil in the air is to nebulize it in its fine particles or spray.
So, can you put essential oils in a humidifier?
Essential oils and even baby oils can be put in humidifiers; however, there are some concerns when using humidifiers for this purpose.
Humidifiers can add water vapor to the air for multiple health reasons like ease in breathing, avoiding dry skin, reducing static electricity in the home, and improving the humidity for some furniture’s benefits.
However, they are not designed to diffuse essential oils, and they are not the same as ionic nebulizers.
In some cases, essential oils, when placed in humidifiers, can break down the device’s plastic, consequently damaging the oil humidifier.
The heat further ruins the essential oil’s effect. Since most humidifiers run regularly, you may not be able to control when the oils are released in the air.
Often you may want to limit the time you smell the scent of eucalyptus, so if you are very interested, you should know all the ends and odds of essential oils.
If you are still interested in using Essential Oils in a humidifier, the following must be considered.
See Our Blog: Why Portable AC Fills With Water? – 5 Common Reasons
Cool mist humidifier
Make sure that to diffuse essential oils, you are using a cool-mist humidifier, which will ensure that no properties of essential oils are being damaged.
An ultrasonic device is also a good option for the purpose.
You must perform some support regularly, by cleaning the humidifier often to limit the likelihood of damaging plastic.
The right amount of oil
Make sure that you are using the right amount of oil in the device.
The amount of oil will depend on the size of your water tank or may be determined by the holding area of oil, which is located near the humidifier’s top usually.
The best essential oils for a humidifier
The best essential oils to be used with a humidifier are the following:
· Lavender oil: this oil promotes calmness and is the best one to use when you are exhausted or to feel very stressed, or even during a headache.
· Sandalwood Oil: this particular oil is perfect for mental agility and also to enhance the romance in the atmosphere.
· Eucalyptus Oil: this one is a natural decongestant as it has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. It also promotes mental alertness in an individual.
· Peppermint Oil: This oil will prove to be a good one for your digestive tract and will stimulate your mind. It will also reduce headaches and soothe your sinuses.
· Tea Tree Oil: this oil is perfect for any symptoms of flu or cold as it fights any infections, rendering its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. The oil also has excellent antifungal properties.
· Rose Oil: Rosewood has many excellent features like being antibacterial, an insecticide, and even a deodorant. It enhances the romance element in your atmosphere as well.
Knowing the properties of the oil is very important, and it relieves your symptoms when you use the right oil providing the health benefits of the essential oils being used.