If you've never seen or dealt with mold before, it can be hard for you to treat it and differentiate it from dust.

Molds are mostly found on the surfaces of highly humid areas. Black molds can be very harmful to health and can cause many problems; that's why you need to know more about them so that you can treat them immediately. We are here to help you with that. So let's get started.

What Is Black Mold?

Mold is a kind of fungus that is spread through spores, mostly found in damp or wet places, e.g., leaked pipes, roofs, etc. The spores travel through the air and can be very harmful. Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys Chartarum) is a type of mold. It is one of the most toxic molds.

Sometimes it's greenish-black in color. It usually grows on wood and paper products. It generates toxic chemicals in the form of spores that are known as mycotoxins. If these harmful particles are inhaled, they can be dangerous and can cause headaches, skin problems, and other infections.

This type of mold is mostly in highly humid areas like basements, wet roofs, bathrooms, etc. If you see a black mold in your house, don't ignore it and get it removed immediately.
What Is Black Mold

What Is Dust?

Tiny particles of solid matter are known as dust. These particles can contain fabric fibers, pollen, pieces of dead skin, insects, and other things. All the small particles that air can carry are included in the dust. Sometimes the dust can be extremely dangerous for your health, especially for people with allergies like asthma.

What Is Dust

Black Mold Vs Dust

Black Mold 

Dust 

Smell -

  • It has a bad, damp smell like old fabric.

  • Unpleasant musty smell like rotten wood


  • It has an earthy smell. 

  • It is tolerable.

  • It doesn't have a strong smell.

Gravity -

  • Deeply attached to the surface.

  • Doesn't fall off easily


  • Not so deeply attached to the surface

  • Eventually falls to the floor

  • Can be wiped with cloth easily. 

Light -

  • It grows in places where is little sunlight 


  • They are not affected by light

  • Dust can travel in the air

  • Mostly found in dry areas.

Color -

  • It's mostly greenish-black in color

  • Looks very disgusting 


  • It is usually gray in color

  • It doesn't have to be in a particular color 

Bleach -

  • It won't kill the mold properly but is effective 

  • The dark patches go away


  • It doesn't react on dust

  • No noticeable changes occur 

Moisture -

  • Mostly places with high moisture level have mold 


  • Dust can be found anywhere 

  • Moisture or dryness don't affect the dust. But dry places have comparatively more dust.

Attachment level -

  • It cannot be wiped easily.


  • Dust can easily be wiped.

Health effects -

  • It can cause severe coughing

  • It can be a reason for many allergies and infections

  • The side effects don't go away easily 


  • It can cause some sneezing and coughing

  • Side effects disappear after sometime 

Material effects -

  • It can damage the material it is staying on

  • It increases over time


  • Dust doesn't damage the material 

  • It doesn't get increased 

How To Identify Black Mold?

Molds are very commonly found in houses. Especially in humid areas. Black mold can be identified easily. You just have to look carefully.

  • Black mold seems to be a little slimy
  • It will give you a musty smell even when you're away from it
  • It grows in damp and dark places.

How To Identify Dust?

Dust is very easy to identify. It mostly exists in extremely dry places and can be highly allergic to some people.

  • It doesn't have any odor
  • It is usually gray
  • It can be felt on hands like tiny irritating particles (powdered form).

Precautions/Treatment Of Black Mold

  • Keep your house dry
  • Extra moisture from the air is extracted by dehumidifiers; use them
  • Keep the pipes and roof dry
  • Make the rooms ventilated enough to keep them dry
  • Use cleaning agents that'll lighten the black mold
  • If the mold is on wood, replacing it is a good option
  • Use an air purifier
  • Check for any water leakages
  • Bleach should never be mixed with ammonia. Their reaction will be harmful to your health.
  • Some important products that kill harmful mold are Chlorine Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, White Vinegar (distilled), and Alcohol.
There are several methods to remove mold from various items of your house; you can choose the most suitable for you.

Removing Mold From Any Fabric

Mold can easily be removed from washable fabrics; to do so

  • Brush the mold from the surface of the fabric. Toothbrushes work great.
  • Put the brushed fabric in the washing machine
  • Wash it with good soap
  • The fabric will be good as new if the mold is small

Removing From Leather

  • Dip the leather in white vinegar
  • Rub the mold area
  • Use some soap and water
  • Let it dry

Removing From Washing Machine

  • Put a cup of chlorine bleach in the washing machine drum
  • Add some hot water and run the machine
  • Dip a cloth in distilled white vinegar and rub it on the sides of the machine (where the mold exists)
  • Dry it with a towel.

Removing from a refrigerator

  • Remove all the eatables from the fridge
  • Damp a cloth with white vinegar
  • Wipe down the refrigerator surfaces with it
  • Dry it

Removing mold from the walls

  • Take a bucket
  • Add detergent, bleach, and water in it
  • Dip the sponge in the mixture and rub it slightly all over the wall
  • Let it dry a bit.

Precautions/Treatment Of Dust

  • Wipe off the dust from the surface with a soft/clean cloth
  • Your A/C filters might need a replacement
  • Use a Swiffer to clean the dust from your home

To Wrap Things Up

If you don't treat either of them timely, they will cause major respiratory problems or other infections. But to treat them, you have to know what you are dealing with in the first place.

You should give them a chance to enter your household and cause problems for you. Keep your house clean and maintain the humidity level. This will save you your effort and your time. We hope the information was helpful. Don't forget to share your experience with us.

Share this post